Monday, August 5, 2013

World Breastfeeding Week

First time nursing Peanut, right after he was born
The first seven days in August is World Breastfeeding Week. I am a huge believer in breastfeeding, I nursed Munchkin until he was twenty-five months. And while part of that had to do with his dairy allergy, I loved the closeness that it brought us and continued long after he outgrew the allergy. I found it hard in the beginning, I would cry every time I nursed for the first six weeks. We had latch issues and neither of us knew what we were doing. I never would have made it if everyone around me hadn't been so supportive.

Almost six months in this time, Peanut has still never had formula, and I am so glad that I've been able to provide for him. And while things were definitely easier this time around, I still see how important support is to make this journey successful. I would have given up very early if I didn't have the complete support of my husband, who in the early days picked up a lot of slack around the house, my family and friends. Even Munchkin, in his three-year-old way, has been supportive and understanding when it comes to feeding his brother.

This week's theme, Breastfeeding Support: Close to Mothers, highlights how important it is to support each other. As my friends have started having babies, I have tried very much to do this. I gave advice when asked, let them know what products I found useful and was there for them if they needed me. So as more friends and family are expecting babies, I plan on supporting them in any way that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails